Tuesday, July 24, 2012

What chu know bout Dragon Boats??

A few months ago, Morgan decided to get on to the Navy Dragon Boat team.  As if he didn't have enough on his plate with work, basketball, school, and another baby!!!  What a nut!  Either way, he got onto the team.  They practice twice a week and have races about every other weekend. I've never seen a dragon boat race in person.  I've seen on TV when there are like 30 people in a boat and there is a guy beating on a drum to keep everyone on the same pace.  I guess they don't do that race until the winter time in Okinawa, so they still have races but on a smaller scale. 

A couple weekends ago was the first time me and the kids could go watch him race.  I honestly didn't really want to go because of Nono.  I knew it was going to be hot and how was I going to take care of Mills while Morgan was racing?  But I really wanted to see him and go to my first race.  Plus he told me that it was going to be at a nice beach and resort.  We packed up the Van and went early on a Sunday morning.  I was able to meet his teammates for the first time and meet the ladies of the Lady Navy dragon boat team.  There were lots of teams there, mostly Japanese.  The resort was beautiful and it actually wasn't that hot of a day.  Mills had a great time playing in the sand and water.  She especially had a good time cheering on her dad.  Nono on the other hand, was hot and sweaty.  Poor guy!  He behaved the whole time though! 

Unfortunately, their team didn't win.  Actually...they sank their boat.  They were doing sooo well at first too.  The ladies team won the whole thing!  All in all, it wasn't a shabby way to spend a Sunday afternoon with my family!

Mills n Daddy with a Dragon boat

Me and the kids at the beach

Navy Dragon Boat Team

Getting a banana boat ride back since they sunk their boat :(

0 comments:

Post a Comment