Friday, April 10, 2015

Passion for Fashion

All my life, I've always been into fashion.  I remember being a kid and wanting to shop constantly, always wanting new clothes , accessories, and shoes.  Luckily my mom had the same passion for shopping and that became our thing.  We were partners in crime at the mall.  Black Friday, we were up at the crack of dawn, actually before dawn when it was still dark out, and we headed out to do major damage shopping.  It was fun for us.  Even as a teenager, I spent many a summer and weekend hanging at the mall.

When I first got pregnant with  Amelia, I was determined to still be in fashion.  I didn't want to turn into someone  I wasn't.  I'd already gone through so many changes in my body, hormones, and life.... fashion was one of the only thing that was constant.  After I had Amelia, my body was able to get back to pre-baby pretty quickly and I was in my regular clothes in no time.  The one thing that I thought would change my outlook on style and fashion, actually fueled it more.  Now that I had a little girl, I could shop for 2!

I did hit a rough patch, and it wasn't with Nolan, it was actually moving to Okinawa!  I come from sunny San Diego, with nearly perfect weather year round.  I've lived on both coasts, the south in VA and rainy WA state.  Through it all I've been able to maintain my style.  But Okinawa put on the breaks.  I've never lived on a tropical island before.  I've never lived somewhere with so much humidity.  I've also never not worked, I've had a job since I was 16 years old.  Through all our moves with the military, I've always got a job about a month of moving.  Also, there are no malls in Okinawa....{super sad face}.  I missed all my old stores.  There are Japanese stores, but their sizing is way different and the language barrier is intimidating.  Most of my shopping was online, which is fine, but the wait for my items would sometimes be months! I think it was that "island life" mentality that was the driving force.  My days were usually spent hanging with the kids, running errands, going to the park, the occasional lunch date.  I didn't feel the urge to dress up, and factor in the 90 degree weather with 100% humidity.  My make up took a dive too, generally I would just do my brows. haha  My outfits generally consisted of, shirts, shorts, jeans, or leggings.  Mostly clothes that I didn't have to iron. lol.  I went on a few trips back to the states or on family vacations.  Those would spark my style sense again and I'd come back to Oki stylish and motivated to dress cute.  That would usually last about a month.  Then I was back to my old "uniform". lol

Recently, after our trip to the Philippines that old spark got ignited again.  The Philippines had malls on every corner with all my favorite stores!  I'm pretty sure I shopped everyday. It was glorious.  I shopped so much, we had to buy 2 extra luggage to pack all our new stuff!! {madness}  When I got back I was still trying to keep stylish.  Then one night I couldn't sleep, I stumbled upon Instagram accounts of moms with style!  All of them took selfies of their outfits and accessories!  Some were working moms and some were stay at home moms.  The stay at home moms definitely peaked my interest and motivated me!So I started doing the same!  I feel like taking pictures keeps me accountable and motivated to dress cute.  I have unearthed a whole new section of my closet.  I'm starting to find things that I once loved and totally forgot about.    Sure, I don't dress up everyday.  When I say dress up, its not like I dress to the nines.  I wear stylish {my style} clothes and accessories.   Most importantly, I felt good.  I dodn't feel homely, I feet like a cool mom! I'm hoping this streak never ends.

If you are interested find me on Instagram @christys_chronicles

top// marshalls
necklace&ring// forever21
watch//fossil
shorts// levi's jeans
sandals//old navy

top//forever21
necklace// the silver sea
jeans// levi's jeans
purshe// jessica simpson
watch// charming charlie

scarf// h&m
flannel// uniqlo
purse// louis vuitton
shoes// tory burch
pants// nordstorm

jacket//levi's jeans
necklace// charming charlie
dress// forever 21
boots// bp nordstrom
purse// guicci

0 comments:

Post a Comment