Friday, March 2, 2012

The Cat in the Hat...


With Dr. Seuss’ Birthday upon us, I thought I would write something about him.  I was fortunate enough to grow up reading Dr. Seuss books.  I believe his popularity was mainly in the US.  I asked a couple people I work with who grew up here in Okinawa and they didn’t really read his books.  I’m sure Japan has their beloved children’s books writers too.   With Mills we’ve bought her a handful of Dr. Seuss books and movies based on his books.  She loves them, I think because they are sort of off the wall and colorful.
 I remember being pregnant and getting Amelia’s room ready and buying Dr. Seuss books.  I would strategically place them on her wall shelves.  We started reading to her before she went to bed, even before she could walk or talk.  I would automatically go for a Dr. Seuss book.  It’s funny how tongue tied I would get reading these books to her, I don’t remember that growing up.  I think that maybe another reason she likes these books.  Reading these stories to her made me think of my childhood and reminisce on growing up.  I bet when I’m reading I have a smile on my face.  I don’t think there are any other books out there that can do that.  I definitely plan on reading Dr. Seuss books to our little one on the way.  His books will be in our lives for awhile and hopefully Amelia and our Baby boy will read them to their children.
Most of his famous books were written in the 1950s, and yet they still stand the test of time.  Parents and teachers all over are still reading them to a new set of ears every year.    There are definitely no other children’s books out there that are similar.  His children’s books have such a unique style.  As for my favorite Dr. Seuss book, it would have to go to “Oh, the Places you’ll go”.  That was actually one of the first books I bought Amelia.  I just think it has a good message and it’s inspiring.  I’m thinking the next few nights Amelia will be hearing some Dr. Seuss.  Hats off to you Dr. Seuss you're a gentleman and a scholar! BTW Dr. Seuss spent most of his life in La Jolla, CA!


On a side note>>>

{So far Lent has been going well, no soda, going to church, no fast food, but I haven't started reading the children's Bible with Amelia yet. }

{I'm really focusing on meal planning and cutting our grocery bill down.  I think we spend way too much money for just a family of 3.}

{I wore heels today to work, I got some weird stares. Haha}

0 comments:

Post a Comment