Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sapporo {throwback thursday}

Since a lot of the news talk these days is about snow, I thought I'd throw it back to our trip to Sapporo Japan.  We went to the annual snow and ice festival in February 2011.  Amelia was 2 and I was 5 months pregnant with Nolan.  This was the first ever cold vacation that I've taken.  My idea of a vacation is somewhere warm and preferably by some body of water.  We heard so many great things about the festival and Sapporo, so we had to make the trip up there.

Sapporo is located on  Hokkaido , it's the most northern island in Japan.  We took two plane rides and a bus to get to Sapporo.  It was SUPER cold.  Maybe since being in Okinawa we weren't ready for the cold weather.  It was no joke.  I of course packed to look cute in the snow, but that all went out the window when I got there.  I practically layered all my clothes everyday!

We stayed there for 3 nights and 4 days.  It was pretty fun.  Our hotel was located in the heart of Sapporo so we would go see something then come back to our hotel and warm up.  The snow sculptures were amazing!  Theses things were gigantic and had so much detail.  I was literally in awe of every single one of them.  We went to see them during the day and at night.  I suggest going at night!  The way they are light up at night looks so magical.  I remember Amelia saying "wow" the whole time we were walking around looking at them.

My favorite part of the trip was when we went to this parking lot that was converted into a big snow playground.  There were slides, rides, ice sculptures, snow playgrounds.  It was super awesome.  I know Amelia had the time of her life there.  This was the first time she had seen snow and been old enough to play.

Another notable mention of this trip was the FOOD!  Hokkaido is famous for their seafood, crab in particular.  It was so good, I still dream about it to this day.  It was so good I didn't even get a picture of it.  







0 comments:

Post a Comment